You’re probably wondering is weed legal in Australia. If so, you’ve come to the right place!
For the longest time, Australians have struggled to legalize cannabis in Australia, and, since the beginning of the decade, that dream is slowly coming to fruition.
Is Weed Legal in Australia?
Australia is a country with an enormous number of recreational weed users. Although weed has been prohibited for a while, there is a part of the Australian government that fought avidly for legalization.
There are several reasons for this change of view.
First, Australia has an ideal climate for growing the plant. Second, it seems that medical marijuana has enormous potential (both medically and financially), which is why the government wants to legalize weed and acquire taxes from sales.
There are also a few spokespersons who claim that marijuana is no worse than alcohol and that it has similar side effects as some traditional pharmaceuticals.
In 2016, Australia performed a national survey in order to see where does the public stands on the issue. As you can presume, most of Australia was pro-cannabis. And that’s both for recreational and medical cannabis.
At this moment, Australia is performing a widespread weed reform that should slowly introduce the plant to Australian consumers. But, that doesn’t mean that the struggle is over, or that you can easily buy medical marijuana in Australia.
However, a few years from now, you can expect that weed will be as common as any other product.
In this article, we will answer the question of whether weed is legal in Australia, and what do you need to know about it.
Can individuals buy cannabis in Australia?
First, let’s review some basics.
In September of 2019, ACT was the first region to legalize recreational marijuana in Australia. The law took effect at the start of 2020, and since then, it seems that most consumers are happy with the outcome.
But, that doesn’t mean weed is legal in all Australian states. In some parts of Australia, possession of marijuana is still treated as a serious offense.
If you wish to use recreational cannabis, it is very important to learn more about the local marijuana laws before you do so.
Here are some of the basics that are implemented on the federal level.
- You cannot possess more than 50 grams of weed, regardless of where you live in Australia
- You can grow up to 2 marijuana plants per person, but no more than 4 per family
- Every household can have up to 150 grams of wet weed
- If you do decide to grow your own weed, it is very important to make sure that it’s not accessible to children
- Selling weed is still illegal in Australia. If you wish to grow it or sell it on a larger scale, you will need to register a company and go through official agencies
Can I buy recreational marijuana online? Is this legal?
The same laws apply if you decide to purchase weed online. But, consumers also have certain rights and are able to buy marijuana from foreign online shops.
The main reason why Australians should buy from Australian cannabis suppliers is that there are certain difficulties with foreign-based marijuana providers.
You see, if you encounter any issues (for example, if you need a refund or replacement), it will be very hard to rely on Australian laws to help you out.
While the law covers all potential issues with Australian weed companies, it doesn’t provide the same security for individuals who decided to buy from foreign organizations.
Like in all other countries, cannabis supplies need to be transparent regarding their products.
This is especially true in the case of CBD marijuana. The weed websites should provide valid information so that the consumers cannot be deceived when making a purchase.
The same financial and economic laws apply to weed companies as to all other economic entities. You cannot form monopolies, cartels, or try to manipulate the market in regards to product prices and quality.
The companies are obliged to enforce proper safety standards to ensure that the customers get the top-quality items.
If you’re an Australian who wishes to buy cannabis products from an Australian weed company, here are some tips that will help you protect your consumer rights:
- Like with all other web-based shops, it is very important to buy CBD oil from reputable sources. The company should have visible policies and to be transparent regarding cannabis. Given the sensitivity of the subject, they need to have good return and refund policies
- It is also very important that your data is safe. Buy from online shops that have a proper security system. But, you will also need to be responsible before making the purchase. Make sure that your antivirus protection is up-to-date
- Purchasing from companies that have a physical address seems to be better. In case of an issue, you can always track them down. However, that doesn’t mean that companies without a physical address are bad; it just means they are less safe
- If you have any concerns regarding a company’s legitimacy, visit other online sources (besides the company’s own site) to check for their presence and online reviews. Companies that are present in other media are usually reputable and safer to buy from
- Check to see if there are hidden costs. Good companies avoid doing any shady stuff such as this
- If a shop representative asks you for your PIN or any web password, make sure to report them to local authorities
What do I need to know about medical marijuana and hemp products?
Although things are much easier when it comes to CBD oil products, there are still a lot of hurdles to obtaining them.
When it comes to CBD, the devil is in the details.
For example, there is a big difference between products that were made from seeds and those that are made by using leaves. While some of them might be completely legal, the others are treated as illegal drugs.
For everything else, you will need appropriate permits from a local authority. Even if you get all the necessary licenses, you are unable to sell items that have more THC than allowed.
Here are some hemp-based products which can be sold without any special license or permit:
- Hemp seed oil is one of the most common cannabis products on the Australian market. It is created through extraction from a hemp plant. Depending on the extraction method, these items can be more or less safe; always prefer products that were created through CO2 extraction. Like all other hemp products, hemp seed oil should have a very low concentration of THC
- Hemp produces one of the strongest fibers in nature. This fiber is also eco-friendly, which is why there is more emphasis on hemp cultivation in the last several years. To make things even better, the plant yields are astonishing making it a very lucrative activity
- Hemp seed meal is another product that you can sell without a special license. It is flour created by grinding hemp seeds. Similar to hemp oil, hemp seed meal can only be sold if it has a low THC concentration
Safety concerns and regulation
Due to the nature of the plant, safety is a major concern for the Australian government. Due to the fact that this is a relatively new market, and there are some shady things going on, the government has implemented precautionary measures that would ensure its control.
If you’re into hemp and cannabis, you will have to meet safety standards like all other businesses. You also have to label, advertise, and market products according to their purpose.
The government forces companies to test their products on a regular basis so they can meet the proper standards. Needless to say, all the products that don’t meet these standards will be removed from the market.
Here are some of the main weed features that the government is controlling:
- The creation method itself
- Its usability and presentation to the general public
- The content
- The validity of provided instructions
- Implementation of proper testing
Most cannabis companies remove problematic products themselves without having to rely on the government’s intervention.
However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be cautious, or that you shouldn’t inquire about a marijuana company before making a purchase. If you notice any issues with your cannabis item, make sure to report it to the Product Safety Australia website.
So, is weed legal in Australia? Well, the country is heading towards the complete legalization of both recreational and medical marijuana in Australia.
At this point, there are still certain issues, and depending on where you live, you can still get arrested for possession. It is always better to inform yourself about the current cannabis laws before using weed in this country.