Today we’ll share an awesome hemp kombucha recipe every Australian should make at home!
If you’re looking for a healthy, refreshing drink that has plenty of nutrients, then you should look no further than kombucha. This is a fermented tea drink that is fizzy and delicious and is loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Luckily, making your own twist of cannabis kombucha at home is easy if you exercise a little patience. At first, it may look like a byzantine chemistry tryout, but if you follow the next steps on how to make hemp kombucha at home, you’ll be enjoying this crisp-tasting drink in no time.
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a delicious, fizzy fermented tea beverage that is brewed by adding a scoop of SCOBY (short for Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) to a mixture of tea and sugar.
The mixture then ferments as the bacteria and yeast feed on the sugar and tea. The end result is a probiotic, tart-tasting tonic with little to no sugar.
Aside from the famed probiotic properties, hemp kombucha also contains antioxidants, B vitamins, tea polyphenols, and folic acid.
For starters, hemp is chock-full of nutrients, containing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as other essential vitamins and minerals.
It is this genius hemp kombucha recipe that makes the brew really good for your health and wellbeing. The blend of nutrients provided by hemp, together with gut-friendly probiotics, boosts not only your heart’s health but also your digestive function and immunity.
We all know that regular kombucha has some unique flavors and can be bought at your local grocery store or deli. But hemp kombucha is relatively new and unheard of.
However, it caused a big stir at the 2015 Cannabis Cup with both Cannbucha and Kannabucha capturing the attention of cannabis fanatics and health enthusiasts alike.
The icing on the cake is that you can brew it in the comfort of your home. You only need a few ingredients, and you’re good to go.
Before you begin brewing, you should be sure that the cannabis tea you buy is not infused with cannabis oil. Oil does not interact well with SCOBY, slowing down the fermentation process and not producing the best brew.
The best tea to buy is either black or green tea because they work better when brewing cannabis kombucha.
Hemp Kombucha Recipe: Ingredients
To start making the brew, you need to have the following items:
- About 10-12 tea packets infused with cannabis
- 1 cup of regular sugar
- Good quality SCOBY
- 1 cup of kombucha bought from your local store (you’ll need this only for the first time you’ll be making the brew)
- 1 gallon of clean water (preferably purified, it should not be from the tap)
- 1 quart of the juice you love (you’ll need this if you want your brew to be sugary and have more time to wait because the fermentation process will take longer)
You may also need several sterilized glass jars or bottles with more or less the same fermentation covers to get started with brewing.
If you’ve gathered all of the above items, you’re ready to begin brewing.
Hemp Kombucha Recipe: The Process
- Begin by boiling your purified water and adding sugar into it. Stir the mixture until all the sugar dissolves. Now add your favorite cannabis tea bags into the mixture and let it steep.
- Once the mixture cools to room temperature, pour it into the glass jars or bottles and leave some room inside the bottle or jar. Take your time before doing this because heat may compromise SCOBY-the most crucial ingredient of this hemp kombucha recipe.
- If you are making your first batch, use the kombucha you bought from the store. Pour half of it into the mixture.
- Then wash your hands clean, and put SCOBY into the glass jar or bottle. Don’t be scared if you see any changes- it is normal if it either floats or sinks.
- Now cover the bottles or jars with air-tight fermentation covers to keep them sterile. The pots or bottles should then be stored in a warm environment, far from any other drinks that are undergoing fermentation. It’s advisable to store them in a place with temperatures ranging from 75-85 degrees F.
- Now, the waiting game begins. Fermentation usually takes around 7 to 10 days. When these days are over, open the fermentation cover slowly and with caution. Use a straw to sip the liquid so that you can taste your kombucha. It is ready if there is a semi-sweet taste to it.
- Finally, you have your hemp kombucha ready to drink. Keep any leftover drink in air-tight containers.
- If you’d like to ferment it further, follow the next steps. Further fermentation usually enriches the flavor and takes the crispiness and fizziness to a whole new level.
Round 2: The Second Fermentation
If you’d like to ferment your brew further for a more delicious hemp kombucha recipe, you should:
- Take out more sterilized glass bottles or jars that are large enough to accommodate a whole quart of juice. Pour it into one of the jars, then put the kombucha you just made over the juice, and keep some space at the top. If you want more flavor, this is the time also to add fruits, herbs, and ginger to get the best flavor combination you desire.
- Set aside half a cup of the just-made kombucha, and start the process of fermentation all over again. Now, instead of adding kombucha from the store, you use the one you made.
- Leave it to ferment for another 7 to 10 days in a glass jar or bottle that is covered tightly. Be patient, keeping in mind that all good and sweet things take time. When the wait is over, you’ll have your sweet, tart, carbonated drink ready for you to enjoy.
Even though the process of fermentation takes long, it is definitely worth waiting. This fizzy and delicious hemp kombucha recipe will have you feeling healthy and rejuvenated all at once!
Feel free to try out different flavors and different cannabis tea packets to find what works best for you. It is essential to know your dosages when making such edibles.
If, for instance, the amount of cannabis tea packets recommended for the procedure, do not suit your liking, adjust accordingly to cater to your own needs and tastes. Have fun while at it.